The glass factory of Orrefors was founded in 1898, at a site where an iron factory had been operating since 1726. After converting the factory for the more lucrative production of glass, the factory made utility items until 1914 when, under new ownership, crystal began to be produced.
Orrefors' history is characterised by developmental processes in glass production, and new artistic techniques. Many known designers work with a wide selection of designed glass such as drink and plate sets, vases and bowls, and the artistic glass is continuously sold and displayed at galleries and museums. In 1998 Orrefors celebrated its 100-year jubilee with art-glass exhibitions all around the world